Scholarship Opportunities for Alaskans
Our application period is open until April 1, 2023.
The Bill Countryman Scholarship Program
Each year, Credit Union 1 is proud to offer the Bill Countryman Scholarship Program to Alaskans of all ages pursuing higher education goals. In the words of our honored past Board of Directors member Bill Countryman, "education and adventure keep you young!"
Eligible scholarship applicants must meet one of these three categories:
- Individuals of any age who are continuing their education at an accredited college or vocational school
- Senior high students applying for admission to an accredited college or vocational school
- Junior high or high school students through 11th grade applying for the Johns Hopkins CTY Program
The following criteria will be used to grant scholarships:
- Applicant (or their parent) must be a member of Credit Union 1 for at least one year as of April 1, 2023
- Applicant must show financial need
Applicant must provide documentation of community involvement and/or extra-curricular activities; however, there is no minimum requirement of involvement
- Applicants must share details of how higher education will shape their plans/goals
- There are no class restrictions for scholarship funds; selected applicants will receive funds toward overall tuition
- The maximum amount awarded varies
- CU1 employees are not eligible for this scholarship; however, our employees can apply for tuition assistance as a benefit of employment
- There is no limit to the number of years an applicant may apply; if you applied last year, you're welcome to apply again this year
There is no paper scholarship application; please complete the electronic application below.
2023 Scholarship Application
Please read through this application in its entirety before you begin. This will help ensure you've gathered all required materials, as once you begin your application, you will not be able to save it and resume later. Note that required items also include three letters of recommendation, your school transcripts and SAT/ACT scores.